Copyright Notice and License
The UCUM codes, UCUM table (regardless of format), and UCUM Specification are copyright © 1999-2009, Regenstrief Institute, Inc. and the Unified Codes for Units of Measures (UCUM) Organization. All rights reserved.
Regenstrief Institute, Inc. and the Unified Codes for Units of Measures (UCUM) Organization are hereunder collectively referred to as "The Organization".
Permission is hereby granted in perpetuity, without payment of license fees or royalties, to use, copy, or distribute the UCUM codes, UCUM Specification, and UCUM table (in all formats in which it is distributed by The Organization and the UCUM Organization) (collectively, the "Licensed Materials") for any commercial or non-commercial purpose, subject to the following terms and conditions:
1) To prevent the dilution of the purpose of the Licensed Materials, i.e., that of providing a definitive standard for identifying units of measures in electronic documents and messages, users shall not use any of the Licensed Materials for the purpose of developing or promulgating a different standard for identifying units of measure, regardless of whether the intended use is in the field of medicine, or any other field of science or trade.
2) Users shall not modify the Licensed Materials and may not distribute modified versions of the UCUM table (regardless of format) or UCUM Specification. Users shall not modify any existing contents, fields, description, or comments of the Licensed Materials, and may not add any new contents to it.
3) Users shall not use any of the UCUM codes in a way that expressly or implicitly changes their meaning.
5) UCUM codes and other information from the UCUM table may be used in electronic messages communicating measurements without the need to include this Copyright Notice and License or a reference thereto in the message (and without the need to include all fields required by Section 7 hereof).
6) Users may make and distribute an unlimited number of copies of the Licensed Materials. Each copy thereof must include this Copyright Notice and License, and must include the appropriate version or revision number of the Licensed Materials if the Licensed Materials have a version or revision number, or the release date if the Licensed Materials do not have a version or revision number. This Copyright Notice and License must appear on every printed copy of the Licensed Materials. Where the Licensed Materials are distributed on a fixed storage medium (such as a CD-ROM), a printed copy of this Copyright Notice and License must be included on or with the storage medium, and a text file containing this information also must be stored on the storage medium in a file called "license.txt". Where the Licensed Materials are distributed via the Internet, this Copyright Notice and License must be accessible on the same Internet page from which the Licensed Materials are available for download. This Copyright Notice and License must appear verbatim on every electronic or printed copy of the Licensed Materials. The UCUM Specification and related documents may not be modified, nor may derivative works be created from it, without the prior written permission of The Organization. To request written permission, please contact ucum@… (at unitsofmeasure.org). The Organization retains the right to approve any modification to, or derivative work of the Licensed Materials.
7) Subject to Section 1 and the other restrictions hereof, users may incorporate portions of the UCUM table and definitions into another master term dictionary (e.g. laboratory test definition database), or software program for distribution outside of the user's corporation or organization, provided that any such master term dictionary or software program includes the following fields reproduced in their entirety from the UCUM table: UCUM code, definition value and unit. Every copy of the UCUM table incorporated into or distributed in conjunction with another database or software program must include the following notice:
"This product includes all or a portion of the UCUM table, UCUM codes, and UCUM definitions or is derived from it, subject to a license from Regenstrief Institute, Inc. and The UCUM Organization. Your use of the UCUM table, UCUM codes, UCUM definitions also is subject to this license, a copy of which is available at http://unitsofmeasure.org. The current complete UCUM table, UCUM Specification are available for download at http://unitsofmeasure.org. The UCUM table and UCUM codes are copyright © 1995-2009, Regenstrief Institute, Inc. and the Unified Codes for Units of Measures (UCUM) Organization. All rights reserved.
THE UCUM TABLE (IN ALL FORMATS), UCUM DEFINITIONS, AND SPECIFICATION ARE PROVIDED "AS IS." ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE DISCLAIMED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE."
If the master term dictionary or software program containing the UCUM table, UCUM definitions and/or UCUM specification is distributed with a printed license, this statement must appear in the printed license. Where the master term dictionary or software program containing the UCUM table, UCUM definitions, and/or UCUM specification is distributed on a fixed storage medium, a text file containing this information also must be stored on the storage medium in a file called "UCUM_short_license.txt". Where the master term dictionary or software program containing the UCUM table, UCUM definitions, and/or UCUM specification is distributed via the Internet, this information must be accessible on the same Internet page from which the product is available for download.
8) Use and distribution of the Licensed Materials in ways that are not specifically discussed herein shall always be accompanied by the notice provided in Section 7 hereof. The guidelines for providing the notice that are contained in the last paragraph of Section 7 also shall apply. If a user has a question about whether a particular use of any of the Licensed Materials is permissible, the user is invited to contact The Organization by e-mail at ucum@… (at unitsofmeasure.org).
9) If the user desires to translate any of the Licensed Materials into a language other than English, then user shall notify The Organization via email at ucum@… (at unitsofmeasure.org). Any such translation is a derivative work, and the user agrees and does hereby assign all right, title and interest in and to such derivative work to The Organization. Further, user shall fully cooperate with The Organization in the filing and reviewing of any copyright applications or other legal documents, and signing any documents (such as declarations, assignments, affidavits, and the like) that are reasonably necessary to the preparation of any such copyright application. The assignment granted by this paragraph extends to all proprietary rights both in the United States, and in all foreign countries. No other right to create a derivative work of any of the Licensed Materials is hereby granted (except the right to translate into a language other than English granted in this Section 9), and The Organization reserves all other rights not specifically granted herein. All such translations shall be electronically transmitted to The Organization, and such translations shall be made available and are subject to the same license rights and restrictions contained herein. The Organization will give credit on its website to the user and/or entity that did the translation.
10) The Organization welcome requests for new UCUM content (terms, codes or associated material such as text descriptions and synonyms) and suggestions about revisions to existing content within the Licensed Materials. Such submissions should be done on The Organization's web site http://unitsofmeasure.org/trac/newticket.
11) The names "UCUM Organization" may not be used in a way which could be interpreted as an endorsement or a promotion of any product or service without prior written permission of The Organization. To request written permission, please contact ucum@… (at unitsofmeasure.org).
12) DISCLAIMER: REGENSTRIEF INSTITUTE, INC. AND THE UCUM ORGANIZATION DO NOT ACCEPT LIABILITY FOR ANY OMISSIONS OR ERRORS IN THE LICENSED MATERIALS OR ANY OTHER MATERIALS OBTAINED FROM REGENSTRIEF INSTITUTE, INC. AND/OR THE UCUM ORGANIZATION. THE LICENSED MATERIALS AND ALL OTHER MATERIALS OBTAINED FROM REGENSTRIEF INSTITUTE, INC. AND/OR THE UCUM ORGANIZATION ARE PROVIDED "AS IS," WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND WARRANTIES ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, TRADE USAGE, OR TRADE PRACTICE. FURTHER, NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION IS MADE CONCERNING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, SEQUENCE, TIMELINESS OR AVAILABILITY OF THE LICENSED MATERIALS OR ANY OTHER MATERIALS OBTAINED FROM REGENSTRIEF INSTITUTE, INC. AND/OR THE UCUM ORGANIZATION, OR ANY TRANSLATIONS OR DERIVATIVE WORKS OF ANY OF THE FOREGOING. IN NO EVENT SHALL REGENSTRIEF INSTITUTE, INC. OR THE UCUM ORGANIZATION OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, RELIANCE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ATTORNEYS' FEES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; OPPORTUNITY COSTS; LOSS OF USE, DATA, SAVINGS OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THE LICENSED MATERIALS OR ANY OTHER MATERIALS OBTAINED FROM REGENSTRIEF INSTITUTE, INC. AND/OR THE UCUM ORGANIZATION, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE OR IF SUCH DAMAGES WERE FORESEEABLE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS, SO SOME OF THE FOREGOING MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
13) This license shall be construed and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Indiana, United States of America, excluding its conflicts of law rules.